Jump to recipe
I get food and wine emails up the wazoo every single day. I love reading them and figuring how to re-engineer them. this one stuck out and I saved it. I think I got the original from Snooth, but don’t quote me on that. Wait. I just quoted myself. Never mind… 🙂
The original calls for Andoille sausage and lots of rice. Needless to say, I traded those for healthier ingredients and changed a few of the others according to what I had in the ‘fridge. It’s a hit and what makes it even better is that it’s all in one pot! No added salt needed, since the seafood itself has salt in it. Hardly any clean up at all…except for all the knives and prep stuff for cutting. Tell me what you think!
- Olive oil
- 1 pound of seafood sausage or spicy chicken sausage, sliced fairly thin
- 1/2 cup of carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 Serrano or other hot pepper, minced
- 1/2 red pepper, minced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound salmon, preferably wild caught, skinned and cut into 2 ounce chunks
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup snap pea pods diced small
- 1 can white beans, rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 cups of chicken broth, low sodium
- Coat the bottom of a 6 quart pot with olive oil. Turn the heat to med-high and add sausage.
- Brown for a few minutes and add carrots, onions and celery.
- Lower heat to medium.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and stir. Cook another minute.
- Add all the chilies and red pepper and continue cooking, covered, another 5 minutes.
- Stir well.
- Add the chicken broth and heat until simmering.
- Add all the seafood, asparagus and snap peas. Stir and cover.
- Cook about 10 more minutes, until all the seafood is done.
- Add beans, herbs, pepper and lemon juice.
- Stir, cook another 2 minutes and serve.
Seems like a lot of steps, but it goes really fast. It’s filling, hearty and doesn’t have a lot of calories! Enjoy.
Talk to you later,