Jump to recipe
I saw a version of this in a health magazine and I thought it was a perfect, easy mid-week dish that’s light, yet flavorful. I liked the idea of hot/cold combos and the kick of jalapeno in the sauce. I marinated the chicken for over 24 hours and it really made a difference in the flavor. I find that 30 minutes of marinating anything doesn’t do anything to really change the flavor of the meat.
Grilled Chicken with Spicy cucumbers
This would go really well with some corn on the cob!! If you don't like spicy food, skip the jalapeno....
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6-8 oz each)
- 1 1/4 tsps fine sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, more as needed
- 1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 garlic cloves, grated finely
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- For the sauce:
- 1/3C packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3C packed fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt, more to taste
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice, more to taste
- 3 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced, (about 2 1/4 cups)
- Place a chicken breast between a layer of parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Use a mallet, rolling pin or the flat side of a heavy knife to pound to a thickness of about 1/2 inch. Repeat with remaining breasts.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Place in a bowl and toss with lime zest, garlic and oil.
- Cover and marinate for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the sauce:
- In a blender, combine cilantro, parsley, oil, jalapenos, garlic, salt and lime juice.
- Blend until smooth, adding 1-2 tbsps of water if needed to thin.
- Heat grill to medium high or heat up the broiler or a grill pan.
- Grill or broil until chicken is lightly browned at the edges and just cooked through, 2-4 minutes per side.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cucumbers with a pinch of salt.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Right before serving, toss the cucumbers with sauce and serve alongside the chicken, drizzling chicken with any leftover sauce from the bottom of the cucumber bowl and a little olive oil.