Recently, I was lucky enough to attend the launch of the extension of Germany’s biggest selling spice company, Just Spices, (www.justspices.com) here in the US. They specialize in blends-really original blends to make your life easier. They had a bunch of sample foods there and I fell in love with their Pancake Blend. (I had it on a scoop of ice cream! Who’d a thought to do that?!)
Cinnamon, Cardamom and lemon peel are among the flavors included here. They were nice enough to gift me with a container and I brought it home. When I took it out and put it on the counter, I saw a recipe I was planning on trying and inspiration hit. These two combined would make a fantastic dish! I tried it and TA-DA! Fantastic. I’m sharing it here for YOU to try. It’s gluten-free, but not vegan. Live a little. It goes great with a nice cup of tea…
Almond and Port Cake with Pancake Blend Seasoning
- 2 Cups Slivered or chopped almonds
- ½ Cup sugar
- 3 single packs Stevia
- 1 heaping teaspoon Pancake Blend spice mix
- 4 eggs
- ½ Cup butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon port wine
- ¼ Cup Mango or Apricot fruit spread (organic if possible)
- ¼ Cup chopped toasted almonds
- Butter a round 9 or 10 inch springform pan or tart pan. Cover the bottom with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 3500.
- Place the almonds, sugar, stevia and spice mix into a food processor. Pulse until finely ground. Crack the eggs on top of the mixture. Pulse until well combined. Mix in the vanilla extract and port. Drop in the butter in chunks and process until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Place on a rack in the middle of the oven and bake for 30 minutes. The top will be nicely tanned; the cake will feel springy to the touch.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Unmold the cake, invert onto a platter. Remove the parchment paper and invert the cake again.
- With a pastry brush, spread the jam on the outer circumference of the cake top, about 2-3 inches in depth. Sprinkle the glazed area with the toasted almonds.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream on the side.