Jump to recipe
This was REALLY fun to make healthier. I had to give some of the trial efforts to neighbors, as I would have eaten them all. I was going for the right consistency, not chocolate flavor. They ALL had that! I admit it. I can pass on just about any kind of cake or pie….except for chocolate. BUT-I’m a purist. None of this “chocolate-coconut” (ick) or “chocolate-raspberry” (bleck). Just chocolate.
The French must hate me. They mix chocolate with everything. The only thing you should think about mixing into this recipe is flavored chips instead of chocolate ones, should you like to change it up. Caramel, White Chocolate….they’d all be good. Give this a try and let me know what you think:
5 Minute Healthy Chocolate Mug Cake
WARNING! Even this re-engineered recipe still has calories! If you split it with someone, it's 311 calories per serving with 6g of fat. Remember, it's dessert, not the main course! Except if you have PMS. Then all bets are off. Sorry, boys....
- 4 Tbsps flour
- 5 packets of Stevia
- 2 tablespoons cocoa mix (if you use unsweetened cocoa, add another packet or 2 of sweetener)
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons low fat milk
- 2 tbsps unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsps chocolate chips (optional)
- 3-4 drops of vanilla extract
- 1 large (at least 16 oz) microwave-safe coffee mug
- Add the dry ingredients to the mug and mix well. Beat the egg and mix through dry ingredients. Add the milk, applesauce and vanilla extract. Mix well again. Sprinkle the chips on top.
- Put the mug in the microwave and cook on high for 5 minutes. The cake will rise above the top of the mug, but that's what's supposed to happen. Take it out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. It will deflate a bit. Then just flip it over onto a plate.